Advocate Prashant Mali
I along with my team have successfully unearthed various online banking and financial frauds and handled complicated Cyber Law & Copyright cases .
I am currently handling Cyber crime, Cyber abuse,Cyber Frauds, Ecommerce, EOW, Privacy & copyright related matters of various corporates, celebrities and HNI individuals. I appear as Expert Legal Counsel in Cyber Crime and Electronic/Digital Evidence related cases.
I am a regular speaker in National, International Conferences & Seminars and have also trained Mumbai University Professors, Maharashtra police, Indian Airforce ,Various Board of Directors, Corporates & other Law Enforcement Agencies.
I have authored 5 books on Cyber Law, Cyber Crime, Privacy Law, My articles on EContracts, S/W Piracy, Data Theft, Digital Signatures,Mobile Security,Cloud Computing & Law with other cyber issues have got published in leading magazines, journals.I am interviewed by leading news channels of the country and have been quoted in leading news papers of the country on cyber law ,cyber crime,cyber security and privacy law issues
I am regularly consulted by Maharashtra Police and other law and enforcement agencies of the country on cyber crime & cyber security issues.
I have handled corporate clients like Aditya Birla Group, Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance, Balaji Telefilms, Bharti Airtel Ltd, Crompton Greaves Ltd.,Deloitte, L&T ITL,Reliance ADAG , Indusind Bank, Honda Siel Cars P Ltd, Hiranandani Group, Camilin Group, GIC, UTI TSL & Various Government and Law Enforcement Agencies to name a few.
I have successfully argued and won matters before appearing as a Legal Counsel for various companies in various tribunals and courts.
Awards and Appreciations:
Awarded "Cyber Security Lawyer of the Year: India" 2016 by FinancialMonthly Magazine of UK
Awarded "Hall of Fame Award" 2016 by Computer Society of India (CSI) for Exemplary contributions in Infosec field
Awarded " Thane Gaurav (Pride of Thane City)" by Local Government: 2016 from the hands of Hon. Minister for state.
Awarded "Cyber Security Professional of the year (Asia Pacific): 2016 by Information Security Group
Awarded as "Cyber Security Lawyer of the year: India" by Financial Times Awards:2016 of UK
Awarded "Cyber Law & Cyber Security Lawyer of the Year: 2014" at The National Law Day
Awarded Infosec Maestros "Special Achievement Award for Excellence in Cyber Law"
Selected as "Top 25 Legal Consultants of The Year: 2014" by SILICON INDIA Magazine
Selected as "Consultant of the Year - Cyber Law (2014)" by CIO Review Magazine
Landmark IT Act(Cyber Law ) Cases Handled & Decisions - 2016
1. Won 6 cases in January, where compensation to the tune of 1.25 crore was awarded by the cyber crime court (Adjudication Officer) in Online banking cyber fraud matters .
2. Handling Amir Khan's Cyber defamation Case of popular program Satyamev Jayate.
3. Handling India's first Cyber Morphing i.e. Amit Karkhanis case.
4. Naaptol Vs Big Deal | Motilal Oswal Vs Intellect S/W as a Legal Counsel for Source Code & Data Theft Case
5. Handling Udta Punjab Movie Leak case
Landmark IT Act(Cyber Law ) Cases Handled & Decisions - 2015 &2014
1. Rita Basu Case (State V/s P Mitra ) – Rita Basu case in the India's First case on Identity Theft.
2. Mr. Dhande V/s Vodafone & ICICI Bank – Got Landmark Order where Vodafone & ICICI were charged with damages of Rs.18 Lakhs for
SIM Exchange Credit Card Fraud
3. Rohit Maheswari V/s Vodafone where it was held that The Data held by Mobile Operator is "Sensitive Personal Data" as defined by
S43A of The IT Act, 2000.
4. Amit Patwardhan V/s Bank of Baroda – Got Landmark Order where it was held that Bank cannot share their clients bank statement of
ex-employee with ex-employer.
5. Got 2 Acquittals under Section 66A of The IT Act, 2000. Orkut & Facebook Matter
6. Got 2 Acquittals in Data Theft Case under The IT Act,2000
7. Got India's First Conviction for Nigerian Citizens in Nigerian 419 scam (Advised APP )
8. Handled Various cases of Cyber Defamation/Abuse to Remove or Block material from websites
Speaker & Panelist in National and International Seminars and Conferences, some mentioned below
Key Note Speaker along with Hon. IT & Law Minister at the Indian Merchant Chamber Cyber Crime Conference June 2016 Key Note speaker at the Conference on "Cyber Security in Banking & Insurance" Bombay Chamber of Commerce June 2016
Key Note Speaker Annual Asia GRC & Information Security Summit 2015 held at The Taj Hotel,Mumbai
Expert Panelist at the "India Cyber Security Summit 2015" held at Hotel J W Marriott, Mumbai India
Key Note speaker on Women & Cyber Crime at National Seminar of Nagpur University's Law College 2015
Key Note Speaker on Cyber Laws at Nirma University's National Conference of Law School 2015
Speaker at DSCI NASSCOM Annual Information Security summit Dec 2014 on Social Media & Cyber Law
Advisor, Speaker & Panelist at Economic Times Fraud & Investigation Conference 2014
Speaker at Interop Mumbai 2014 Intl conference, spoke on 9 things you don’t know of Indian Cyber Law
Presented a Paper at Oxford University on “Cyber Terrorism & International Law” 2014
Presented Consultation before National Commission for Women on “Ways to safeguard women’s against Cyber Crime”
Presented A Theme Paper on Cyber Security, Cyber Crime & Cyber Law at National Conference on Criminology at Tata Institute of Social Sciences Panelist on “India Privacy Meet 2012” & various conferences arranged by ICAI SPEAKER AT Regional conference of ISACA for 2011,2012,2014,2016 on Cloud Computing, Cyber Security & Privacy Laws
SPEAKER AT “Meeting the Cyber Crime Challenge through Capacity Building” EVENT BY NASSCOM,DSCI 2011 SPEAKER AT INDIA LEGAL SUMMIT 2010,2011 ON Cyber Law & Cyber Security, Cloud Computing & Law SPEAKER AT UGC Sponsored One-Day National Level Seminar on "Emerging Trends in Indian E-commerce" SPEAKER AT CYBER SAFE THANE 2010- A NASSCOM & MAHARASHTRA POLICE EVENT SPEAKER AT CYBER THREATS & INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECURITY & XBRL BY ICAI 2010 SPEAKER AT ARE WE SAFE? A SEMINAR ON CYBER SECURITY AT PHD CHAMBER - DELHI 2010
Experience : 20 Years in IT , Cyber Security ,Cyber Law, IPR, Telecom, Frauds and allied Law field
Social & Philanthropy Activities:
1. Donated 9 No.s of Computers and 1 No.s of Printer to Nashik Cyber Cell, Nashik Police.
2. Donated 7 Computers to Thane Cyber Cell of Police.
3. Donated 12 Computers to Nagaon High School. Alibaug for Setting IT Lab
4. Donated 90 Cycles to Girls of Nagaon High School for commuting to School.
5. Donated 2000 Books on Cyber Law & Cyber Crimes to various libraries, institutions & police.
6. Conducted free seminars in schools and colleges for spreading awareness of cyber law & cyber security.
Mumbai : A902,Grenville CHS,Lokhandwala Complex,Lion Sol Marg, Andheri(W), India